A firm favourite in any household! Great when fresh and warm straight from the oven but is also delicious when eaten in packed lunches or with picnics the next day!
- Serves 4
- Cooking Time 90 mins
- Preparation Time 15 mins
- 2-3 Large Sticks of Rhubarb, Washed & Cut Into 2cm Chunks
- Shortcrust Pastry, Enough to Fill a 26cm Diameter, 5cm Deep Dish
For the Victoria Sponge Mix
- 2 Eggs
- 4oz of Self Raising Flour
- 4oz of Soft Cooking Margarine or Butter
- 4oz of Sugar
1. Pull 2-3 sticks of rhubarb fresh from your garden, remove the leaves and chop off the ends. Bring them inside and give them a good wash.
2. Line a flan dish with the shortcrust pastry and blind bake (to avoid a soggy bottom). I use a 26cm diameter, 5cm deep dish. While blind baking, slice the rhubarb into approx. 2cm slices, so you have enough to loosely lay single height across the flan dish.
3. Make a 2 egg Victoria sponge mix with the ingredients listed above. When mixed, add the rhubarb slices and fold into the mixture so all sides are covered.
4. When the pastry case is ready, fill with the rhubarb sponge mixture and place in the oven at 160 degrees C (fan assisted). Cook slowly until the top is firm and golden brown.
Recipe provided by James Oakey