Gratin of Aubergine, Tomato & Red Pepper
Swathed in freshly grated parmesan cheese this versatile vegetarian dish may be served as a starter or accompaniment: experiment with garlic, chilli and herbs to create your unique flavour.
Recipe provided by Fiona at recipes2share.com
- Serves 4
- Cooking Time 45 mins
- Preparation Time 15 mins
- Olive Oil for Cooking
- 1 Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Large Red Pepper, Chopped
- 1 Clove of Garlic, Crushed
- 800g Can of Plum Tomatoes, Drained
- Freshly Milled Black Pepper
- 2 Small/Medium Aubergines
- 50g+ of Parmesan Cheese, Freshly Grated
1. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and gently sauté the onion and pepper until soft but not coloured. Stir in the garlic and continue to cook for a few more moments.
2. Over a medium heat, add the tomatoes, breaking them down a little. Lower the heat and allow the mixture to bubble away until a thick sauce has formed - about 15 minutes, taste and season.
3. Meanwhile: wash, half and slice the aubergine to about 5mm thickness.
4. Bring a saucepan of water to the boil, gently lower in the aubergine, cover and simmer for 3 minutes until soft. Drain using a colander.
Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees C
5. Divide the cooked tomato and peppers between individual serving dishes, arranging the aubergine in an overlapping layer then finally sprinkle with handfuls of parmesan cheese.
Bake for about 30 minutes until the cheese has melted and browned.
Recipe provided by Fiona