What is EcoSure Aqua-Super12?
EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is not an algaecide, but rather a completely natural and ecologically harmless method of controlling pond scum and odours that commonly plague lakes and ponds. The program consists of simple, regular treatments during algae season. When using EcoSure, no applicator’s permits or licenses are necessary.
EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is a special blend of naturally occurring bacteria and nutrients that removes the algae’s primary source of food, nitrogen, from the water. This drastic reduction in nitrogen concentrations makes it difficult for the algae to bloom. EcoSure works in the entire water column, as well as bottom sludge layers, to digest any organic wastes generated by fish, animals and plant life in the pond. EcoSure Aqua-Super12 also contains cultures beneficial for enhancing turf quality and is therefore safe to use in irrigation ponds. The cultures are completely safe, and will not harm humans, plants, animals, birds or the environment.
- Removes existing algae and prevents new growth.
- Breaks down organic and fish waste in the water.
- Clarifies lake or pond water.
- Eliminates ammonia and organic odours.
- Enhances uptake of nutrients by grasses.
- Improves the aquatic environment for fish and wildlife.
- Reduces ammonia salts and other contaminants.
- Completely safe for humans, animals, fish and aquatic plant life.
How it works
The principle behind EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is that of bio-augmentation. Bio-augmentation is the controlled addition of selected microorganisms into a specific environment to carry out a defined objective. Biotechnology can be described as the application of both biological science and engineering principles to the solution for everyday problems. Therefore bio-augmentation, or bacterial supplementation, is considered biotechnology, even though its history is as old as its first users in the fermenting of alcoholic beverages.
Bacteria are isolated from soil and water samples and tested in the laboratory for their ability to degrade complex organic compounds. Useful strains are grown and blended in a commercial scale for application to specific degradation problems. The formulations of bacteria will typically contain a number of species, which have been selected and combined to degrade organic compounds of interest. These organisms work in concert, each strain possessing the enzyme systems necessary to degrade specific components of the waste, yielding breakdown intermediates that are further degraded by other species in the blend. In this manner, complex compounds can be systematically reduced to ever more simple and ultimately non-harmful compounds such as water and carbon dioxide.
In ponds, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate must be removed or kept at very low levels to avoid toxicity to fish and control algae blooms. By adding EcoSure Aqua-Super12 to the water phase, a living system of biologically active seed culture, enzymes, activators and accelerators, developed specifically for ponds and aquaculture is introduced. The EcoSure Aqua-Super12 microbial cells populate the entire system, multiply and produce large quantities of digestive enzymes on a regular basis.
The bacterial cultures will oxidize ammonia to form nitrite and nitrate, and then reduce the nitrite and nitrate to nitrogen gas. These reactions give the bacteria both the energy and nutrients they require to grow and reproduce. Algae also require nitrogen as the critical element for growth. Algae blooms are controlled through competition because the bacteria in EcoSure removes nitrogen compounds from the water column faster than the algae, thus the algae will be starved out of existence or will not bloom at all.
EcoSure Aqua-Super12 also degrades accumulated organic waste, top scum and bottom sludge for use as carbon sources. The overall result is a pond with clean, clear water, free from algae, odours and sludge.
The organisms selected for inclusion in EcoSure Aqua-Super12 have been chosen for their ability to stabilize the conversion of nitrite to nitrate and to tolerate conditions that would totally inhibit Nitrosomonas and Nitrobacter. Reduction of organics and the lowered BOD (Biochemical Organic Demand) achieved by EcoSure Aqua-Super12 help these nitrogen-cycle bacterial organisms to thrive.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does EcoSure Aqua-Super12 work?
EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is designed to treat the cause, not the effect, of pond maintenance problems. Excessive algae growth results from easily available food sources – normally excess nutrients in the water. EcoSure bacteria digest the excess nutrients before the algae, cutting off the algae’s food supply and controlling algae growth.
Will EcoSure Aqua-Super12 harm turf?
No EcoSure Aqua-Super12 actually enhances turf health in the following ways:
- The microbes used in EcoSure Aqua-Super12 are natural soil and water bacteria that are an essential part of the mechanism for the efficient transport of nutrients from the soil into the turf roots.
- EcoSure Aqua-Super12 also improves the water quality of irrigation ponds by breaking down ammonia salts and other contaminants before they reach the turf. Common sense indicates that better water contributes to better turf.
Is EcoSure Aqua-Super12 safe for fish?
Yes. By removing ammonia and nitrite from the water, EcoSure Aqua-Super12 enhances the aquatic environment for fish and other wildlife. EcoSure Aqua-Super12 formula is used to enhance production in commercial fish, alligator and shrimp farms in Japan, Thailand, France, Canada and the United States.
How does EcoSure Aqua-Super12 control odour?
The bacteria in EcoSure Aqua-Super12 attack the cause of the pond odour, ammonia and slow decaying organic matter. By accelerating ad stabilizing the natural nitrogen conversion reactions, EcoSure Aqua-Super12 greatly reduces or eliminates the release of ambient ammonia. Rapid digestion of accumulated organic matter eliminates foul odour.
How does EcoSure Aqua-Super12 clarify water?
EcoSure Aqua-Super12 reduces the algae population and digests floating and suspended organic matter that clouds the water column.
Will EcoSure Aqua-Super12 clear a pond of existing algae?
Yes, however, EcoSure Aqua-Super12 mode of action is to “starve” the algae by out-competing for a primary nutrient, nitrogen. Therefore, it is most effective when used as a preventive maintenance program, before algae start blooming.
What do I do if I have an existing algae problem?
EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is designed to be a preventive maintenance product. It is therefore advisable to start with a clean pond surface. This can be accomplished in the following ways:
- Remove existing algae by harvesting. This provides the additional benefit of removing nitrogen and phosphorous bound in the algae.
- Treat the pond with Barley Straw Extract and OxyPowder. Great in the short term, but has many drawbacks, if not use EcoSue Aqua-Super12 in combination. Beneficial micro organisms in the water and in the bottom sludge will remove the algae died from BarleyStraw Extract. Best if used in combination. Wait 1 to 2 days after the addition of an BarleyStraw Extract. before using EcoSure Aqua-Super12.
- It is important to note that certain species of blue-green algae have adapted to fix nitrogen from the atmosphere. Although this species can survive in nitrogen-depleted environments, they are only a small portion of the total natural algae population. And even though not effective against these species, EcoSure Aqua-Super12 will still cause a reduction in filamentous and other algae, digest organics ad reduce bottom sludge and odour.
Is EcoSure Aqua-Super12 compatible with algaecides or pesticides?
No. Algaecides work well in the short term, but kill the natural bacteria in the pond that handle excess nutrient. As algaecides reduce the populations of beneficial bacteria, fewer nutrients are being digested and the potential for long-term algae problems increases.
How do algaecides cause long-term problems?
Nature regulates nutrient levels in ponds with bacteria similar to those found in EcoSure Aqua-Super12. Continual use of algaecides will kill these beneficial bacteria, and over time the pond will lose its ability to self-regulate nutrient levels. The result is an out-of-balance ecosystem whose nutrients will support a large algae population. This can be compared to the increase in turf thatch and disease caused by the use of pesticides and fungicides. As with algaecides, pesticides and fungicides also kill the bacteria that are essential to healthy turf, and their continual use may cause greater long-term turf problems.
Is EcoSure Aqua-Super12 an algaecide?
No, EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is not an algaecide. EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is designed to digest the algae’s primary growth nutrient, nitrogen. It will not kill living macro-organisms. EcoSure Aqua-Super12 will help to re-establish a healthy, balance aquatic ecosystem. EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is non-toxic, non-corrosive, and all natural and will not harm animals, plants, birds, fish or humans.
What about aeration?
EcoSure Aqua-Super12 bacteria utilize dissolved oxygen in their digestive processes. This utilization will not, however, affect the dissolved oxygen concentration in a well-aerated pond. Aeration will enhance the effectiveness of EcoSure Aqua-Super12, as well as benefit all aquatic life present in the pond. It is recommended that all ponds without adequate dissolved oxygen levels be aerated. By digestion of free organics, the bacteria in EcoSure Aqua-Super12 dramatically reduce the BOD (Biochemical Oxygen Demand). In aquatic systems, this means that more of the dissolved oxygen is available to fish life, as less is required for the oxidation of organics. Thus, EcoSure Aqua-Super12 will enhance even an un-aerated or poorly aerated pond.
Will EcoSure Aqua-Super12 work within the pond bottom and sludge layer?
Yes. EcoSure Aqua-Super12 bacterial formulation was designed to supple the correct bacteria for the entire pond, including the sludge layer. The sludge layer can be the largest contributor of nutrients to the pond for two reasons:
- As organic matter (leaves, grass clippings, etc.) degrades on the pond bottom, nitrogen and phosphorus are realized to the water.
- The bacterial populations in the sludge layer can be damaged by applied algaecides and pesticides flushed into the pond during rainstorms. EcoSure Aqua-Super12 will repopulate the sludge layer and accelerate the degradation process. This not only reduces the sludge layer volume but will also reduce the release of nutrients. It is important to note here that the copper used in algaecides and herbicides accumulates in bottom sludge causing an ever-increasing toxicity problem for natural micro organisms.
Are any permits or applicator’s licenses necessary?
No, because EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is not regulated under FIFRA. No permit or applicator’s license is required.
How is EcoSure Aqua-Super12 used?
EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is a pond management program, not a one time, quick-fix chemical addition. As such, it requires initial preparation and continued attention in order to provide optimum results. The initiation (heavy) dose is designed to rapidly populate the pond with EcoSure cultures.
What is the purpose of the maintenance dose?
Since EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is designed to be a preventative maintenance product, the biweekly doses ensure that the levels of beneficial bacteria remain sufficient to handle nutrient inflows. One must also remember that water outflow, irrigation, leaching and inter-species competition with less desirable bacteria, reduces EcoSure Aqua-Super12 bacteria numbers. The maintenance dose is applied every other week at the rate of 1 lb/per acre-foot.
Because each pond has unique set of characteristics that will impact the action of the bacteria, the length of time to achieve the desire results will vary from pond to pond. Remember, EcoSure Aqua-Super12 is not a quick-fix to pond management problems; rather it is preventative maintenance program that will yield excellent results if followed diligently.
How to calculate the amount of EcoSure Aqua-Super12 you need:
Recommends a triple dose (three times the maintenance dose) of bacteria for the first treatment and a double dose for the second treatment. Thereafter, use the maintenance dose as determined in step 3, below. For ponds that already have some algae growth or that receive heavier nutrient loads (from lawn fertilizers, farm fields, geese manure, etc.), recommends using double dose until the pond’s algae is gone before going to the maintenance dose.
- Use 24 grams for up to 20m2 of aquatic area initial dose (20000 litres) in combination with OxyPlus.
- First Maintenance use 14 grams for 20 to 30m2 of aquatic area after 45 days.
- Second Maintenance use 7 grams for 20 to 30m2 of aquatic area after 45 days.
- If hot and long summer use thereafter 7 grams every 45 days until end of September.
Be aware that when lawn fertilization or other sources of nitrates has been recently applied to areas around a pond, you can expect a surge of nitrates into the pond soon afterward. When this occurs, check the shallow areas of the pond for new algae growths. You may need to temporarily increase the maintenance dose for one or two applications to account for this nutrient surge. Use the 2x or 3x amounts depending on what you see as new growth.
If stored at temperature under 350C (950F), the product, in its original, unopened container will maintain viability and effectiveness for no less than 3 years.